Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals at CoxHealth (CMN Hospitals) is moving to an innovative fundraising and marketing approach that optimizes resources to better benefit our local kids with medical needs. After months of research and planning, and after obtaining input from CMN Hospitals national and other sources, it was determined that the annual Telethon should be modified to greatly enhance both the Telethon effort and Radiothon effort. These exciting enhancements are as follows:
A new Telethon format called “Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Miracle Week” on KY3 has been developed. This annual event will be broadcast from KY3 and include children’s stories, interviews, live cut-ins from the new Women’s and Children’s Hospital, information about CMN Hospitals and pitches for listeners to contribute to CMN Hospitals through a phone bank provided by KY3. The new format will also allow for year-round stewardship of major donors and increase media exposure throughout the year.
The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Miracle Week will take place the first week following Thanksgiving (Monday through Sunday). There will be no Telethon in May/June of 2016 and the first Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Miracle Week will take place November 28, 2016 – December 4, 2016. The Telethon will take place during the following newscasts:
- Mon., Tue., Wed.—On KY3 Ozarks Today (5:00 a.m.-7:00 a.m.); On The Ozarks CW (7:00 a.m.- 8:00 a.m.)
- Tue., Wed., Thur.—On KY3 News at Noon (Noon-12:30 p.m.)
- Wed., Thur., Fri.—On The Ozarks CW at Nine (9:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.)
- Sat., Sun.—On KY3 Ozarks Today (7:00 a.m.-8:00 a.m.)
As part of the overall package, CMN Hospitals will receive 252 15-second television spots to run on KY3 throughout the year. These spots can be used to recognize major donors and sponsors, promote fundraising events, highlight major campaigns, etc.
The annual Radiothon occured on February 18-19 on KSPW Power 96.5. This year, the new arrangement allowed CMN Hospitals to add talk radio KSGF 104.1 and The River KRVI 106.7 to the Radiothon. KSGF broadcasted the Radiothon live from 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m. each day and KRVI broadcasted the Radiothon live from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. each day. From 6:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., both of the additional stations promoted the Radiothon.
All three stations are part of the same local corporate family and located in the same facility. The Radiothon was broadcasted from each individual studio with one phone bank in the facility that received calls from all three stations. Live cut-ins also took place from the new Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
As part of the overall package, CMN Hospitals will receive 451 30-second radio spots to run on KTTS, KSGF or KRVI throughout the year. These spots can be used to recognize major donors and sponsors, promote fundraising events, highlight major campaigns, etc.
Benefits of Telethon & Radiothon Enhancements
- Increases projected average Telethon viewers per hour by 203%
- Increases projected average Radiothon listeners per 15 minute segment (adults age 18+) by 158%
- Will open up possible opportunities for local Telethon pitching from syndicated programs like Rachel Ray, Dr. Phil, Wheel of Fortune, The Doctors, etc.
- Radiothon is expanded to include two additional radio stations with different listener demographics
- Television and radio spots will enhance year-round exposure, allow better recognition of major donors/sponsors, and increase opportunities to promote fundraising events and campaigns
- Receive free inbound and outbound calling from the television and radio stations during the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Miracle Week and during Radiothon
- Making all of the above Telethon and Radiothon enhancements will actually save budget dollars while helping to raise additional support for local children suffering from injuries and illnesses
The number of traditional telethons held in CMN Hospitals markets across North America has declined from 134 in 2005 to 11 in 2015. The new Telethon and Radiothon formats should help take CMN Hospitals at CoxHealth to the next level.